I have just finished putting the Plum Pud ingredients together to soak overnight for steaming in the morning. Now I am gathering some money together to boil ready to add at the bottom of each bowl before I put the pudding on top. You used to be able to hide the money in the pudding but now it is not advised. 😦
That made me wonder why money is added to the Christmas Plum Pudding. Here is what I found on the Wikipedia site –
“It was common practice to include small silver coins in the pudding mixture, which could be kept by the person whose serving included them. The usual choice was a silver threepence or a sixpence. The coin was believed to bring wealth in the coming year.
Other tokens are also known to have been included, such as a tiny wishbone (to bring good luck), a silver thimble (for thrift), or an anchor (to symbolize safe harbour).”
There are always lovely little traditions to things we just take for granted.
The photos of the plum puds are not mine (mine are still soaking). Here is the recipe I use each year. It was given to me by a dear friend (thanks Tilly) who knew of my egg allergy. Even if I was able to eat eggs I would still use this recipe because it is absolutely delicious.
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup mixed peel (not a fan so I sometimes delete and add extra almonds)
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup Glace cherries
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon carb soda
- ¼ cup brandy
- Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl (sultanas, raisins, sugar, mixed peel, almonds, Glace cherries, plain flour
- Place butter in a small bowl, pour 1 cup of boiling water over the butter and stir to melt.
- Place carb soda in a small bowl, pour 1 cup of boiling water over the carb soda and dissolve.
- Add these 2 cups of boiling water over the dry ingredients.
- Cover with cling wrap and stand overnight.
- Next morning add the brandy (you might have to add a little more water).
- Steam for 3 hours. Don’t allow to boil dry.
So easy and delicious with custard and cream.