It’s now that I’m thinking that we may have planted too many zucchini plants – how many did we plant – just 1 punnet, so that is probably 4 or 6 plants. We didn’t think that would be too many but we are giving them away to friends and still have too many. So far we’ve cooked Zucchini slice (see recipe in this earlier post) and today I made soup. Tomorrow is a cake.
The soup was delish!
The colour is dark so perhaps I cooked it too long, but despite the colour the taste was delicious.
The recipe is one I downloaded from “Best Recipes” and changed just a little.
Zucchini & Bacon Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-6 rashers bacon – diced (1 added 6 shortcut rashers)
- 2 large onions – diced
- 1 cob corn – corn sliced from cob
- 1 kg or 2 large zucchini (skin partially removed in strips) – cut into large cubes
- 4-6 cups chicken stock (I added extra 2 cups of water)
- Pepper to taste (no need for salt if you use a store-bought chicken stock or cubes)
- Add butter and oil to a large pan over medium heat
- Add bacon and sauté until browned
- Add onions and stir slowly until onions are translucent
- Add corn
- Add zucchini and stir for 5 minutes
- Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a large saucepan
- Add the zucchini and vegetables to the stock
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for approx. 30 minutes
- Add pepper
- Blend with a stick blender if you have one or in a processor until a puree
- Serve immediately. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the soup
- Fresh grain or sourdough bread are a perfect accompaniment.
Serves 12 ?? I think probably 6.
I’ll definitely be making this again.